Sunday 14 July 2013

Poppy Field Durham...... and a realisation to slow down!

So this blog entry will be a bit more on a personal note today. This week I realised something... I have been so so busy over the past few weeks and months that I forget to catch my breath sometimes. I am sometimes editing from morning until well after midnight, I am running from place to place, forgetting to eat, forgoing doing things for myself. I absolutely love my job and I love how far things have progressed with my work, with the things I get to do, the fact I get to  do something I love everyday... But I realised I need to take a bit of time out now and again to avoid the burnout..... Burnout is not good for anyone but especially not creative people. You need to keep that energy and spark to create something..... you can't just make it out of nowhere.

As some of you will know, being a photographer is a lot more than taking photographs, there's the editing, album design, meetings, admin, customer service, venue visits, marketing, networking, paperwork. All of this takes an enormous amount of time. I'm currently working in excess of 60-70 hours a week. I don't have an official day off, I just schedule in when I can. The last time I had a day off to see my family I actually just fell asleep in exhaustion. 

 I have already turned down last minute wedding bookings for the next couple of months, despite being free on the actual dates, as well as several other photoshoots.  This is because I want to provide the VERY best for all of my clients, and I do not want to get overloaded with work as I want to deliver quality every time. I am also trying to take a few hours out of each week just to relax and recoup.

 I read a fantastic blog article this week on Rock & Roll Bride (fantastic blog) and the last paragraph really spoke to me:

"Instead of feeling you have to work 24/7 to get anywhere, focus on accomplishing more in less time. Streamline your tasks and work towards doing the very best you can. Two hours a day of really solid work is much better for your business, your life and your happiness than a full day of stress, strain and pressure.

I get it, everyone’s busy these days, but being overworked should not be a badge of honour. Our goal should be efficiency and productivity not burn-out and 84 hour work weeks. "

 To read the rest of the Rock & Roll Bride blog post click here.

Thanks Kat from Rock & Roll Bride for that great bit of inspiration & advice on her blog. 

So after a very hectic week last week, and after a beautiful wedding day, I raced back to this poppy field that I'd seen on the way to the wedding. The sun was just setting behind the hill. I am not a landscape photographer but I knew the light was fading fast, there was no time to grab my tripod and do a fancy set up. I took my camera with the lens it had on (85mm). I got stung by nettles, and had to navigate myself over some stiles, but finally got there and got a few minutes to capture these beautiful flowers in the fading light.  Check this stunning field out: 


poppy field, poppies, poppyfield, poppy field north east, poppy field newcastle, poppy field durham, red flowers, sunset.

poppy field, poppies, poppyfield, poppy field north east, poppy field newcastle, poppy field durham, red flowers, sunset.

poppy field, poppies, poppyfield, poppy field north east, poppy field newcastle, poppy field durham, red flowers, sunset.

poppy field, poppies, poppyfield, poppy field north east, poppy field newcastle, poppy field durham, red flowers, sunset.

poppy field, poppies, poppyfield, poppy field north east, poppy field newcastle, poppy field durham, red flowers, sunset.

After i'd taken these photographs I took a few minutes to just look out at this magical field and enjoy it. I took some deep breaths, it was the first part of the day I'd actually stood still and just taken it all in, I realised at that moment how much I love life, and how I need some moments like this to stand still, view it rather than be constantly chasing and running around.... 

Life is beautiful!!!

(C) Katie Byram Photography 2013. Images must not be used without written permission.

To see more of my work visit my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment